|The caption on the front of this postcard reads "We
are happy! Ten score and ten of us Fulda boys and
girls." (210 children). The text on back of the
Nov. 14th, 1911
Rt. Rev. James Joseph Hartley, D. D.
Minister of the Sacrament
Rev. John Bernard Oeinck
The postcard was addressed to Miss Verona Miller, Dexter City, Ohio;
but there is no evidence that it was ever mailed. It had no stamp
or cancellation mark. The postcard was provided by Verona (a.k.a.
Marie Veronica) Miller Nau's granddaughter, Mary Ann Schumacher
|Education in Fulda --
An editorial in The Caldwell Citizen Press (16 Dec 1880) stated in
|... Ninety pupils attend [the German] school and
with more room, [we] would have a greater number.
The English department is attended by about thirty
The enumeration of the district is 150 youths. As the
law requires at least six months school each year, and as the
number is too great for our school, our district is entitled to
twelve months school vis: six months to each department.
As to the senior or English department, many can attend but six
months as they have to assist their parents on the farms, the
junior [or German] department is entitled to ask instruction for
In general, a child's education began relatively late and ended
early. In 1900, few children in Fulda under the age of 8 has
started school, and not many over 15 attended class during the previous
year. It was not unusual for a child of 9 or 10 to be unable to
read or write English.
The length of the school year varied for each child in a family,
depending on whether or not they were needed to help out at home.
For example, in 1900, five of Joseph and Rachel (Weisent) Heppner's
children were in school: Laura (9) and Fred (11) went for 8 months,
their brother Roman (14) attended school for 4 months, while older
brothers John (16) and Cornelius (18) went for only 2 months.
Many children in the parish attended St. Mary's school, where lessons
were taught in German for several decades. Other children attended
a one-room schoolhouse in Rado, several miles away from the church.
John Maurice Hohman (1871-1940) was the schoolteacher there for some
time. Children who attended the Rado school went to Catechism
classes at St. Mary's school, which was an all day affair.
They rode to church with the family, carried their lunches, and after
Mass until about 3 o'clock had Catechism classes. Then they
walked the miles home in all kinds of weather.